Quick whipping/whooshing sensations in head. What could be the reason?

when i lay down flat on my back, when i m going to sleep, i get these quick whipping/whooshing sensations in my head. it s 3-4 really quick in a row, then a pause for a second or two, then another set of them. it s a very similar feeling to actually whipping my whole head forward, accompanied by a whooshing sound. afterwards, i get a strange vertigo type feeling. when i lay on my sides, it s far less frequent. when i lay on my back, it s guaranteed. it isn t something that comes and goes either. it happens every single night, and has for at least a year now. my mother also experiences the same thing, and it s been going for her for over a decade. i talked to my doctor, and she examined my ears, and had no idea what it was. my blood pressure was normal. about a year before this began, i had a concussion , and am still having trouble with memory loss , in that i simply go blank when trying to pick out a word to use in a sentence that i really shouldn t be forgetting. which also happened rather often. i don t know if it s related to the whipping/whooshing sensation, which is my primary concern.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013