Putting on weight with no change in diet, staph infection, high BP and cholesterol. Short term memory. Suggestion?

My mother is 53 years old, and I've noticed some alarming changes in her behavior as well as her health. She has put on at least 70 lbs in the last year despite no change in her diet (she eats like a bird. Barely anything at all and very small portions). She was a size 5, and now is to embarrassed to even wear pants. She has a staph infection in both ears that the didn't discover until last week and she's been having problems with it for over 3 years because they misdiagnosed it as psoriasis. I know she has high blood pressure and cholesterol. The last year or so, I've noticed a progressive, severe change in her personality. Her short-term memory is very bad, she very quickly escalates when confronted about literally anything that's not sunshine and roses (like a 6 year old throwing a massive fit over a toy escalating. Complete with whining and childish voices), her ability to process new information and reaction times are shot. She is not the person I remember. What could be wrong?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013