Pus from ears. Is it an allergy? What is the reaction of earrings typically?

I had my ears pierced 9 years ago and never had any problems. In the last year or so i have had to stop wearing earrings because my ears kept getting really sore and when i took my earrings out a little bit of pus would come out. My right ear seems to be much worse than my left and i wonder if this is some sort of an infection or an allergy to my earrings? I only ever wear cheap costume jewellery earrings and wonder if the nickel in them could be causing this reaction?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Pus means infection
The basic lesion is allergy and NICKEL IS WELL KNOWN and notorious for contact allergy!
For the present, use a local antiseptic / see your doctor, if it is severe - your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic (usually local)
You can go for gold!
Or avoid all, if bold!
Good luck