Purple, tender spot on the bottom of foot that does not seem to heal, leaves blood on band-aid. What could this be?

Out of the blue my mom started yelling about a spot on the bottom of her foot . It was faintly purple but very tender. (She is 90) She thought maybe there was something in it and had me try to dig it out but I didn t find anything. The spot refuses to heel, keeps being tender and sometimes leaves blood on the band aid. She has been soaking it in Epsom salt water and dressing it with Swedish Bitters. ???
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012