Purple hard bumps on foot, increasing in number, painful, looking like bruise. Any ideas?

Hello, I am a teacher at a high school and I am trying to help one of my students out. They all of a sudden had these purple hard bumps appear on their foot. They look almost like a bruise and they have increased in number and are now on both feet. It is very painful for him to walk, almost unbearable. He has been to the doctor but they aren't sure what it is. Any idea where we could start looking to figure this out?
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013