Purple coloured thick line on big toe nail, painful. Solution to ease the pain?

Hi, For some years I have a problem in my big toe on my right hand , started with a purple color at the base of the nail, then formed a thick line along my nail and it hurt a lot especially at night. I cut close to the base of the nail, to ease my pain because that was raised. Now I have it so, as in the picture and is very sensitive, if I grazed, touched or hit something the pain is too strong. Thank you for your help I am 40.
Asked On : Tue, 1 Jan 2013