Purple bruises on the shoulder. History of low iron. Chances of sun burn?

My fiancee is 59 years old and does a lot of physical work (moving vending machine products), constantly on the go and lifting cases of soda, boxes of food etc. He is normally very healthy looking, yet lately has developed large purple bruises on his left arm that just don't seem to go away. He will not see a doctor about it and I am concerned. A couple of years ago he was diagnosed with low iron and I wondered if this could be contributing to the bruising not going away. He does take krill oil to keep his cholestrol numbers in line (as he had ill effects from the prescriptions he tried). Is there any way I can help with the bruising problem? Can that arm being in the sun from driving most of the day have something to do with these ugly purple bruises? Is there any way I can help him, since he refuses to see a doctor - his VA physician just tells him not to worry about it (ask he also does with his painful varicose veins in his legs).
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013