Puppy dog vaccinated with rabies shot, often playbites but never through the skin. Can he still transmit rabies?

I am surprised the advice to get a rabies shot always when a puppy or house dog bites or scratches. In my country the netherlands most dogs are not vaccinated but we also have almost no rabies cases. My puppy is vaccinated with rabies shot, but can he still transmit rabies? He often playbites but never through the skin I also wonder if I can touch the puppy right after the rabies vaccination , cause I did...
Asked On : Tue, 22 May 2012