Punctured shin, persisting swelling on the top of sock line, bruising around ankle. What trouble signs should be watched out for?

One week ago, an ice skate blade punctured my shin ( 3 below my knee ) deeply. I rinsed it copiously with water, then hand sanitizer (Ethyl alcohol ((it was all I had on hand)) then Hydrogen peroxide , then covered it daily with a fresh bandage . I probably should have had stitches from a cosmetic standpoint, but it seems to be scabbing and healing well. Originally, it was very swollen from the knee to the ankle, but that subsided gradually. Today, one week later, I have noticed that there is still swelling around the top of my sock line (below the cut), and now there is bruising around the ankle on the associated leg. There is no sign of infection around the initial wound, though it is very tender. What are signs for trouble that I should watch for? The initial cut was very deep...I am very thin (5 4 100 lbs) and it was between 1/3 to 1/2 . Thanks!
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012
Thank for asking to HCM
I really appreciate your concern, looking to the history given here the chances of infection need to be ruled out and for that you have to see the doctor you have made certain mistake you should have not applied the hydrogen peroxide, this could delayed the healing process, it is better to have the antibiotic tentatively, hope this information helps you, take care and have nice day.