Pulled calf muscle, hurts to walk, knot in leg. Taking aspirin. Is it a muscle spasm?

My husband is 59 years old. He thought he pulled his calf muscle over a week ago while stretching to reach something. That evening his lower inner calf muscle hurt. Over the last week, he said it really hurts to walk on it, he gimps badly when walking. He has a hard knot on inside of lower calf on right leg. He has been wearing compression socks to work, but still bothers him. We were worried it could be a bloodclot, but to touch it does not seem warm. It is kinda dark like bruised color where the knot is. He takes a coated aspirin daily due to AFIB . Do you think it is a muscle spasm or maybe something more serious. It swells a tad bit during day but once he comes home in evenings and gets off of his feet it goes down to normal....just curious.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013