Protruding bone on left sternum, lowering platelet count. Is it Xyphoid or a tumour?

I have had loewring platelets since 2006 and a protruding bone/ tumor a little to the left of my sternum. The doctor thinks it is my xyphoid, but I will be honest, I think it is much more. It has become bigger and I do not have to search for it anymor eit is right there. The insurance company denied a CT scan and having 3 little ones I am starting to get very scared about my healt!h! Any suggestions on who to go to or what you might think it would be? I can t even lay on my back or side because it bother me so much!!
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013