Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Protected intercourse using condoms with person of unknown HIV status. Chances of contracting HIV?

I had 3 hours of sex with a 35 yr old black female I met over xxxxx, we used a condom but we did not change it, she says she is negative but females can lie and she is in a high risk profile, what are the chances of getting hiv increasing by using the same condom, at times the condom would peel move up, assuming she is poz
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  163
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, thanks for using health care magic.
Effective use of latex condoms is a very effective preventive measure which has been proven in discordant couples (where one partner is positive and the other negative). Typically, male transmission occurs when infected secretions from the female genital tract move into the male's urethra. This is also possible if the male present with wounds on the genital region that become soiled with the infection secretions.
In the absence of wounds on the genital region and without a break of the condom, it is less likely for a male to become infected. However, prolonged sexual activity can predispose to minute skin lesions especially during hard and vigorous intercourse that can become contaminated with vaginal secretions.
So, in the absence of wounds and breaking of the condom, the chances of picking up the infection close to zero.
Best regards and hope this helps you.
Dr. Achuo A. M.
Answered: Wed, 6 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Tarabell,

Thanks for posting,
Well given the fact that you protected yourself with condom the chances are far less than you were unprotected. It is wise of you to always consider any stranger you meet (for sexual activity) to be positive until proven order wise. Protection with condom on its own is 99%, the remaining 1% will depend on whether the condom tore off, if there was any form of fluid exchange (besides saliva) especially blood etc. Will to make sure you are first of all fine is to do a HIV test now, then redo after 90 days to confirm you are free of the virus.
Besides this no one can tell for sure if you were or not affected by the woman ( as no one can even know if she is actually positive or negative)
Hope this helps and wish you the best
Dr Nsah
Answered: Wed, 6 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor