Prostate removed, cath in, have to do tur bladder neck. Suggestions?

I had my prostate removed in 2008. After removing the cath, I could not void. so after approx. 4 procedures and 4 doctors I found a great doctor who says I should cath everyday to keep opening open. Which worked until now. Now he sent me to another urologist who want s to do a tur bladder neck / anastomotic contracture mmc injection. I have a cath in now and they told me to take it out when I wanted it out. But if I take it out I am scared that I won't be able to cath and will have to go thru all that pain again. What is your thoughts.
Asked On : Tue, 16 Apr 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Your condition is indeed one which requires medical attention. First of all, long standing catheters can predispose to many other conditions. Thus permanent, continuous and re-catheterizing is never the permanent solution.

The procedure suggested by the urologist is indeed a good option and should help prevent catheterizing in the future and ensure proper and normal voiding of urine. Now coming down to your query.

If you are indeed convinced and satisfied with the procedure that has been suggested and are interested in going ahead with it, then scheduling it at the earliest and accordingly taking the catheter out when you want it out, would have no repercussions and wouldn't require re-catheterizing yourself. But, if you wish to schedule the procedure at a later date or are not convinced with the procedure and do not wish to go ahead with it, you can retain the catheter. But, in this case, depending on the type and make of the catheter, it will have to be removed and replaced once its life span has lapsed.

Thus, it all depends on whether or not you wish to go ahead with the procedure, and when. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.