Prolonged periods, heavy periods with dark brown blood. Causes for heavy prolonged periods?

I have had a period for a prolonged length of time, a period of 11 days, with the first 3 days being particularly heavy; my usual lasts for no longer than 7 days. I had a 3 day break but now there are small traces of blood for the past 4-5 days and is still going. These traces of blood are dark in colour (brown) and I woke up this morning with little bit of red blood. What are the possible explanations of this?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Jun 2012