Prolonged periods for 30 days, heavy flow, normal BP. Asked to increase iron intake, still continues. How can I make my periods stop?

I have been on my period now for over 30 days. Very heavy flow. I went to the hospital and they told me my bp was fine and that I just need to up my iron intake. I have done this but still my period continues. What can I do to make it stop. I have an appointment with my family doctor but I have been waiting for a long time to get it in the first place and still have to wait another 10 days until that appointment comes.
Asked On : Fri, 29 Jun 2012
Mar 2014
Hello and welcome,

There are many reasons for prolonged periods.
I will explain most of them as I do not have your complete history and do not know your age.
The commonest ones are pregnancy and miscarriage, hormonal imbalances ( more common in young age and between 40-45 years, but may occur at any time), fibroids are non cancerous uterine tumors that cause bleeding, ovarian cysts can alter hormones and cause bleeding. Other conditions are cervical lesions like polyps, and enlarged uterus called adenomyosis.

The best way to diagnose this is by getting an examination by a doctor and an ultrasonography.

As of now, tranexamic acid tablets thrice daily are helpful in controlling bleeding in most cases and can be taken after prescription. Oral contraceptive pills like femilon are also helpful in decreasing the bleed if they are not contraindicated in your case. Also check to see if you are on drugs like aspirin. These drugs decrease the function of blood clotting mechanism and lead to heavy bleed. So may need to stop them but only after consulting your doctor as he will know the complete case.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist