Prolonged periods cycle, passing blood clots, light headedness. Taking iron pills for low iron. Causes?

I am a 44 yr old woman. I have alwayd had pretty regular periods and they are fairly light lasting 3 days. My last period started on Dec. 31st and it is now Jan 18th and am still bleeding . The flow is heavy compared to what I normally have and I have been passing blood clots. I am experiencing cramping off and on and now I am light headed, weak and just not feeling well at all. I am taking iron because I have had trouble with low iron previously and since I have been bleeding so long I am sure that I am losing iron. What could be causing this?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

presnce of blood clot in menstrual flow indicates heavy bleeding. Cramp like pain is associated with passage of clots.

I would suggest you to consult your gynecologist for further assessment.
In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Wishing you happy and healthy life

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
General & Family Physician Dr. Shoaib Khan's  Response
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Taking your age into consideration the most likely cause could be a soon approaching menopause, also called pre-menopausal symptoms. And so I would recommend a visit to your doctor who will explain the symptoms you can expect and also prescribe hormone replacement medication if at all you need help to cope with the symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.