Pricking sensation in skin. Itchy, burning, painful. What could it be?

Hi there. My husband has a problem, it s like prickly heat but there is no rash , although you can see the blood under the surface of his skin, very faintly. He says it feels like his blood is rising like as if to blush, or when andrenalin brings the blood to the surface of the skin. He says it is very itchy, sometimes burning and painful, he says it feels like he is being pricked with thousands of needles from the inside, but not tingly, actually pricking and hard, and painful, It seems to occur at different times, sometimes worse at nighttime and sleeping hours. It is definitely worse after alcohol or sweet/sugary things. But he has also got it in the middle of the day while we were shopping. I don t understand what it is. Please help.
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013