Pressure on lower abdomen, no pain. Nauseated while jogging. What is the reason?

I have been jogging 3 times a week since March of this year and walk/ran a 5K at the end of May. Over the last month I m experiencing very low abdominal area pressure with no pain; if I keep jogging I will become nauseated. (I live in Alabama with high temps and humidity.) Is this pressure something to be concerned about? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Jun 2012
Hi there,
This is a very common problem seen in runners. The low abdomen pressure that you feel is basically the muscle cramps due to vigorous breathing during exercise to supply adequate oxygen to the muscles. If i was your doctor i will recommend u to massage the abdominal muscles to alleviate the pain and slow down a bit when the pain starts. Also u will adapt to it if u continue to jog with time.
As far as your nausea is concerned it is because of the severe dehydration that u get while jogging. As u live in a high temperature and humidity zone it is very easy to get dehydrated while jogging. If i was your doctor i will recommend you to drink every 15 to 20 minutes and keep yourself hydrated.
Dr. Ammar