Prescribed with z-pack for UTI. Blood clots in urine. Is this related to anything serious?

After a lab test confirmed blood in my urine my Dr. decided to treat for a UTI and prescribed a 5 day Z-pak which I began yesterday 3/22/13. This morning I noticed 2 blood clots in my urine. They were about the size and shape of water mellon seeds and dark cherry in color. Does that sound UTI related or something else? Thanks Frank
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013

Do you have fever?Do you have any other symptoms like abdominal pain,burning micturation?
Do you have any other medical illness like renal calculi or diabetes ,hypertension?What is your age ?

This information could help to come to a conclusion.

Here are the few causes of macroscopic hematuria that should be ruled out:

The most common causes of hematuria are:
-Urinary tract infection
-Bladder stones
-Kidney stones or ureter stones
-Benign prostatic hyperplasia, in older men, especially those over 50
-Acute Glomerulonephritis

Other, less common causes of hematuria include:
-IgA nephropathy ("Berger's disease")
-Alport syndrome
-Tumors and/or cancer in the urinary system, e.g.bladder cancer or renal cell carcinoma Kidney diseases
-Prostate infection or inflammation (prostatitis)
-Benign familial hematuria
-Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria .

I would like to suggest USG KUB,urine examination for proteinuria,casts,WBCs,Morphology of RBCs and Nephrologist opinion for clinical correlation.

Hope this could help you.

Wish you good health.
General & Family Physician Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
Painless blood in the urine deserves a critical evaluation. A urinalysis done which excludes presence of nitrites excludes a urinary tract infection. Heavy clots in urine could suggest a bladder tumour or parasitic infections like schistosomiasis. A specific examination called a cystoscopy could be done to visualize the bladder. Urine cytology and other specific tests are asked depending on the case. A complete clinical evaluation is fundamental and a urologist's opinion in this case could be very helpful.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.