Prescribed Tramadol for chronic back pain. Problem in focusing, double vision. Side effect of medicine?

Hi. I am 60 years old. I was prescribed Tramadol for chronic back pain . I will admit I was abusing it as I was taking far more than the 50mg every 6-8 hours, as prescribed. I drive a lot in my job, and started having problems focusing while driving, the most serious problem was that I was seeing double at long distances, which was frightening to say the least. Thinking that vision problems might be related to a pre- stroke condition, I just recently went to my doctor to have this checked out. Everything appears to be fine. I did not discuss my over use of the Tramadol with my doctor. However I was reading that one of the side effects with Tramadol is muscle constriction. Could it be possible that the Tramadol was effecting the muscles around my eyes, causing them not to focus or work in conjunction with each other, therefore causing the double vision??
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013