Prescribed Promethazine to make infant calm during the flight. Should I go for it?

Hi, we are traveling soon, long flight, and I asked my son's pediatrician what medicine we can give to my son so he can relax/sleep. She prescribed promethazine syrup 5ml single dose only. My son is 1.9yo. Is it okay if I make my son try it first to see if he has reaction to it? I'm torn as whether I should make him try it or not, but at the same time I do not want to try it for the first time while we are traveling already. Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013