Prescribed Metformin. Weight gain. Increased A1C levels. How is it possible?

Early in 2012 my doctor noticed my A1C was 6.2 and wanted to put me on metformin. I asked to try diet and exercise first. I was checked last fall and again January 8th and it was 6.1 both times. I am 73 and now about 170 after loosing 8 pounds by fall. I'd gained 3 pounds by this past January (probably due to Christmas). However, I'm still watching carbs and eating quite healthy. I just had a pre-surgery physical in mid-March and the doctor checked my A1C and it's now 7.3 after only 2-1/2 mths. Can this happen that fast. I questioned the accuracy and he wouldn't check it again and said I need to take the medicine and come back in another month.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013