Prescribed Ketoconazole for ringworm. Irritation and inflammation of skin. Any suggestions?

I have contracted a nasty case of what I think is ringworm , likely from a stray kitten. it was mistreated with a steroid for a few weeks and is not the size of a silver dollar. I was prescribed ketoconazole, which seems to be very slow acting. My dermatologist gave me some samples of Alonquin gel and Alcortin A. Perhaps it s my imagination, but this seems to be working a bit better, though it is still slow. I unfortunately have to go out in public and this is present on my arm , so I need to wear a bandaid but this, in itself is causing a great amount of irritation and inflammation on my sensitive skin inner side of arm. First, is this the very best treatment, and any suggestions on the best kind of bandage?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jun 2012