Premature child, gets cough and cold easily, prescribed montek LC kid tablet, needs to be given throughout lifetime of child ?

My son is 5 and a half years old. He was born premature. Since his second year gets cough and cold very easily and it never goes away. Many a times doctor used to give him antibiotic . Which used to give relief for some days and then again he used to get it. last year doctor adviced Montek LC kid tablet everyday. Last six months my son is taking a pill everyday. It seems like it works . But if he miss one day he starts coughing and throws up food. My question is what can be done? Does he need to take the medicine all his life?
Asked On : Fri, 4 May 2012
It is quite common for children of this age to get repeated attacks of cold, cough and fever. Gradually the immune system matures and the frequency of attacks comes down. Give him vegetables and fruits daily. You can also give him a spoon of honey daily or if available in your area gooseberry soaked in honey which will boost his immunity. Premature babies are prone to develop anemia. Make sure he is not anemic. It will not be necessary to give that drug for life.