Pregnant with pain in the side of the body. Blood test suggested for checking the beta levels. Why?

I am 5 weeks pregnant and had an ultra sound today. The technician asked me If I had pain in my left side. I said yes, slight cramping and tenderness. She wouldn t tell me what she saw but, now I have to go get my blood drawn on Monday and Wednesday and see the doctor for results. I asked what they are checking for and the nurse said they needed to check my beta levels. What do you think the ultrasound technician saw?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013