Pregnant, high blood sugar, tremendous weight gain, advised strict diet. Diet?

Hi, I am 38 weeks pregnant . This being my second pregnancy. And now, after a screening, its been found that my fbs level is at 96 and PPBS at 109. Dr suggested that my sugar levels needs to reduced and has suggested me to follow a strict diet . I have gained 20 kgs already during the pregnancy. I did not have high glucose levels during my first pregnancy. But this is making me worried. Am i at a risk for affecting my delivery adversely. Will this affect my baby. Will this continue even after pregnancy? Also suggest me some diet tips. Thanks, Mansi
Asked On : Tue, 22 May 2012

Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

The sugar levels you mentioned above are absolutely normal and not always women with history of pregnancy induced diabetes will have similar risky pregnancy again.

Also do not reduce carbs in your diet there is need for an extra 300 cal in pregnancy over normal requirement.

Do consume protein rich diet including eggs , pulses and cereals.

Green leafy vegetables are very essential as they provide the required vitamins.

Wish you good health.