Pregnant, have severe itching all over body that triggers at night, swelling on hands and feet. Cause?

Hi, im 38 weeks pregnant and have terrible itching all over my body, mainly my legs, ankles and top of hands. i ve had this since i was around 30 weeks, it only happens at night, at the same time everynight (around 8pm/9pm) and keeps me awake and fidgety till around 5pm when i get so tired i just fall asleep. my hands, feet , ankles and wrists are also badly swollen which has just started accuring in the past couple of weeks, even when i put my feet up for a few days it doesn t go down... whether this has anything to do with the itching i have no idea! it s getting worse as my pregnancy progresses, it s really getting me down and very tired. What could this be?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Feb 2013