Pregnant, have occasionally smoked cocaine in the term. Will my child be born with drug in the system?

I am an occasional cocaine user. I am 37 weeks. I used tonight and I am feeling horrible about it.... I would say through my whole pregnancy I have only used maybe 4 times. Will my son be born with the drug in his system and would I be at risk for him being taken from me? Any advice or insight you may have to give me would be great. I was thinking about talking to my doctor about this but I really am embarrased and don t want to...
Asked On : Tue, 9 Oct 2012
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand your concerns. It is not good for you or your fetus to smoke cocaine. Your child will be born with cocaine in its system and may need resuscitation and symptomatic treatment for withdrawals after birth. However if you stop using the cocaine from now on, you may not have to have your child go through this ordeal. I hope you understand. The sooner you stop using the better it is for you and your baby. Consult your doctor without hesitation as soon as you can if you have smoked and are close to childbirth, the doctor needs to know.

I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day!