Pregnant, have immense weight gain, seem to have beer belly. Does it show unhealthy pregnancy?

hi my name is jessica i am 36 weeks pregnant and my husband is concerned on the weight i have been gaining. Before I was pregnant I weighed 145 ibs and now i only weigh 166ibs. Hes concerned that im not gaining enough weight for the babies sake. He says that other women get chunky and retain alot of water and can barely do half the things i can do. He says i only look as if i have a beer belly. i tried to explain to him that in both my pregnancies i only carried the weight the baby has developed and that all women are different in pregnancies. Is it because their babies and pregnancies are healthier than mine? what can i do to calm my husbands concerns?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

A weight gain of 20 pounds can be considered appropriate.
Some women do not gain as much as others during a pregnancy.It does not imply that your child is unhealthy.
Your doctor would be assessing more than your weight when checking on the baby.
He or she would examine and measure your abdomen while assessing growth, check the fetal heart rate, ask about fetal movement. You may have been scheduled for repeated ultrasound to assess the baby as well.

If the repeated assessments of both you and the baby are normal then there is no reason for concern.

I hope this helps