Pregnant getting cramps in the lower abdomen. Not dilated enough. Is there a solution for these cramps?

Hi. My wife is very close to her due date. Her due date is 31st march. However she is now getting a lot of cramping on her lower belly. She says it really hurts. It s not getting continuous. However when we had our regular check up today Doctor said the dialation is only 1cm. She also monitored the baby/cramping and said everything is normal. My question is what s the reason for this pain and what could be remedy for this? Thanks!
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013