Pregnant advised to take triple marker test and fetal marker test. What are these tests for?

Hi, my wife is undergoing 23 weeks of pregnancy. Our Dr. had ask for the Triple marker test but on the day of USG as the duration of pregnancy was 21 weeks 6 days physician said us that the time line has been over for the Test, the test would not be performed. and then Dr. suggested to go for Foetal Echo test. We have done Feotal echo and the outcome was good as per the Dr. who performed the Foetal Echo, even USG report was also fine. My question is how important for us this Triple Marker Test-what we missed? Is there any other chance in future to get the details of the information through some other test what was supposed to find out through this Triple Marker Test, like down syndrome-mental retardation, spina bifida...etc.?

Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013