Pregnant. What can clotted bleeding mean? What if the cervix is closed?

Hello! I have a question... I m 6weeks pregnant. Today I had heavy bleeding with clots, large ones. I called my ObGyn and told me to go to the ER (I thought I had a miscarriage ). Blood tests came fine, and vaginal ultrasound showed that baby was still in my uterus! I couldn t believe it! Plus, the cervix was fully closed! I would like to know what could have cause this to happen? He ordered a week of bed rest and progesterone vaginal supositories (which I was taking before the bleeding). Thanks for your time!
Asked On : Tue, 18 Sep 2012