Pregnant. Normal ultrasound, low placental protein. Will this cause any risk to baby?

My wife is 23 weeks pregnant. Following an ultrasound a few days ago which I was not present, the doctor said all measurements for the baby were perfectly normal and eveything looked good. My wife told me that at the end of the appointment, the doctor told her that her placental protein was slightly low. She told me the doctor did not seem concerned and that she would have to return for another ultrasound at 28 weeks just to monitor the issue. What does low placental protein mean and should we be potentially worried about a potential stillborn child because the placenta is not working properly?
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013
May 2013
Sometimes low placental protein can lead to chromosomal abnormalities like down's syndrome.
This may not be seen in all the babies and there is possibility for healthy baby.
The possibility of abnormality will depends on other factors like advanced maternal age, genetic makeup etc.
So no need to worry.
Continue with regular antenatal checkups as adviced by your doctor.
For more details you can ask me through: http://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sree-gouri-sr/63429