Pregnant. Herpes positive. Bumps on fingers. Taken Benadryl and Valtrex. Want to know more about herpetic whitlow

I am 25 weeks pregnant and I have was tested positive for herpes. About 2 weeks ago I went to the doctor and told her about small bumps that started developing on my fingers. She thought it was an allergic reaction I was having and advised me to take Benadryl and use cream. It got worst and the following week she advised she that it may be the cause of herpes. She has me taking Valtrex for 7 days. I have done a lot f research and it looks like what I may have is Herpetic Whitlow. I would like to know more about this. I don't believe I have ever actually had an outbreak and if I h e I wasn't aware of it but due to changes in my hormones I believe the outbreak on my hands is Herpetic Whitlow. How often does it reoccur if I continue taking antiviral medication after my baby is born? Is it still contagious if I am taking medication an I do not have any open sores? I would like to know as much as I can because now I am not only worried about spreading my virus to my baby during delivery but now the possibility of not being able to care for her once she is born is terrifying. My doctor is not very helpful and I do feel that I may need to switch to another who does feel comfortable discussing my options with me because she is very brief anytime that I see her. She tells me not to worry but I know I have to take precautions and need expert advice! Please help!!
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013