Pregnant. Bad cold, painful scabs in nose particularly right nostril. Home remedies?

I am 10 weeks pregnant. When I was about 4 weeks along, I had a pretty bad cold. Immediately after I got better, my nose started to dry up and ever since then I have had VERY painful scabs in my nose. The right nostril is the worst. Are there any home remedies I can try until I see my OBGYN? It may be 3 more weeks before I can get to a doctor. What could cause this to happen in the first place?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Oct 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hi!
welcome to HCM!
Treatment for dry nose depends on the underlying condition triggering your symptoms. You must tell about them to your doctor she can assess your symptoms to determine the cause .
We recommend a nasal saline spray, oil or ointment to keep nose moist.
A change in the temperature or humidity in your home and regular cleansing of the nasal passage to clear away crusts or scabs can be useful.
Flushing out the nasal passages with a nasal rinse or spray is a safe and effective treatment for reducing nasal dryness and removing thick mucous and crusts. Nasal rinses and sprays, which typically contain a saline -- or salt -- solution, are available at most pharmacies.
take care!