Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Pregnancy scan showing asymmetrically enlarged kidney. Asked to go for a detailed scan. Need a second opinion

Hi My wife is carrying and today she completed fift months, yesterday we have gone for scanning and in the scan report observation is asymmetrically enlarged, echogenic left kidney . out doctor told, its not good observation so please go ahead for second opinion like she suggested go for another detailed scan we are bit worried what could be the problem can you please guide us
Asked On : Wed, 5 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician, Surgery 's  Response
Dear Parents

This condition of one kidney being larger, hydronephrosis is the most commonly diagnosed condition in the unborn baby. As long as it is on one side only, there is nothing to fear. 85 % of these will NOT require any treatment and the remaining 15% do have a solution, once the baby is born. Please confirm that the fluyid around the baby is normal in volume. You must remember that 25 years ago, these pregnancy scans were not done and most of these babies used to be born and grew up without anyone knowing better !

It is important that the baby receives a scan soon after being born and may need further tests if the kidney is still enlarged but there are options for treatment. So please go ahead and enjoy the rest of the pregnancy
Answered: Thu, 6 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor