Pre-teenager having big nipples. Treatment to reduce the size?

Hi.. I am 14 years old, and my name is Michael. I have had big nipples since I was in 5th grade. I am now almost a sophomore. It wouldn t even bother me if I was fat, but I am really skinny so they are so unattractive. I weigh roughly 135 pounds, and I am 5 ft 9. I went to the doctor, and he told me they would go away, and that he would not give me any treatment.. It was a new doctor because I was too embarrassed to go to my regular doctor. He was a joke. I was in there, and the guy felt my nipples, told me they would go away, and not to smoke marijuana, and walked out.. I do smoke marijuana, but I know that has NOTHING to do with my nipples because I just started 2 years ago. Will they for sure go away? What can I do to make them go away faster? And is there anything over-counter I can buy to help them? Please respond.. I hate my life. I can t do any activities that require taking my shirt off. Other then sex, I have not taken my shirt off in front of anybody in almost 2 years. Please help.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013

Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Firstly, you must understand that there can be a lot of normal variations in human anatomy. For example, the size of breasts or nipples are quite variable from person to person. Secondly, there can also be a lot of changes that can happen during adolescent period. So, a person's physical structure, especially the secondary sexual characteristics may keep varying till he / she reaches adulthood.

You should also understand that most of a person's external characteristics are genetically determined, so it is very unlikely that your big nipples are just going to "go away". There is nothing much you can do to alter them also. So, you should learn to accept your body and external appearance as you are and not aim to change anything drastically.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist