Pounding in head, feels warm to touch, eases with an ice pack after being hit on the head. Cause?

I hit the top of my head last night on the trunk of my Tahoe trunk. Afterwards I had a headache and felt a little dizzy for the next few hours. That same night I went to bed. This morning I couldn t even hear my alarm clock so I overslept but when someone woke me up my head was pounding and my head feels very hot. I put an ice pack on it and it felt better but when I take it off my head gets hot again and starts pounding. What is wrong with me? Do I need to go go a hospital?
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013
Thank you for posting your query.

You may have suffered a scalp hematoma (bleeding underneath the skin) due to the head injury. This could cause pain and feeling of heat.

As of now, you can take analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac tablets 2-3 times per day.

I expect you to get better in a few days. However, if your headache worsens or symptoms do not improve, then, you may consult a doctor.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: