Positive pregnancy test. Scan showed no embryo. Possibilities?

I should be currently 14 weeks pregnant. I took a pregnancy test 10 weeks ago that was positive. at my 12 week scan 2 weeks ago i was told that they could only see a sac and two yolks, no embryo as it looked like a 5 week pregnancy and was too small to see anything. I was told to come back in two weeks to check progress. I know that i should have been over 12 weeks pregnant at this scan. What are the possibilities, could i have had a missed miscarriage and still not passed anything, could i have had a very early miscarriage then got pregnant again so that i thought it was all the same pregnancy, i have had no bleeding during the pregnancy until today when i noticed a tiny red streak in discharge. i have had discharge that has been almost a pale yellow and very stringy and blobby for some time, could this have been a miscarriage. if i have miscarried at 5 weeks then its been now 9 weeks and i haven't passed anything, is this normal, could my body have absorbed it and if so when will ovulation begin again. very confused.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013