Pooing black what could this be ?

my partner has just stopped drinking after 3 years and is now pooing black what could this be.
Asked On : Mon, 14 Feb 2011
thanks for choosing health care majic.See stool color is affected by many things.some food can lead to change in color.Black stool can be because of some iron tablets,some food or some bleeding inside gastrointestinal tract.If he is having some problem like gas,indigestion,he is a smoker etc,he might have ulcer inside and blood from that could lead to black stool.So consult your doctor,get him examined and get a basic stool test for blood done and accordingly your doctor will suggest further treatment.