Polyp on anus, discomfort, no itching. How to detect what this is?

Hi there, i have a little issue that i wanted to discuss before making an appointment with my family doctor. It appears to me that I have developed some sort of polyp or otherwise on my anus . There is only one (from what i can see and feel) I am worried it is something else. I am a gay male, and obviously have had anal sex, so I am hoping it is not some sort of std . But to my knowledge all my previous partners have been clean, or so I have been imformed. Im leaning more towards this being a benign polyp...just going through google. But I was just curious if there is a sure fire way to detect what this is right in the comfort of my own home, before taking that step of speaking with my doctor, it isnt itchy....its just irritating. I could almost pull it a skin tag almost. I dunno...any advice would help
Asked On : Thu, 4 Oct 2012