Polycystic ovarian syndrome. Metform prescribed. History of kidney transplant. Can I take this medicine, alternate medication?

Hello Dr. I have dealt with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome since my teen years. I am 46 now and have had a kidney transplant in 04. The cysts are causing issues more so now then during my youth. GYN recommended Metform stating it has had great success with POS but I read it is not recommend for those with kidney issues. Are there any other meds out there that can work for me being on a transplant protocol (predisone, prograff, rapammune)?
Asked On : Sun, 29 Jul 2012