Polio in right leg, sudden twisting of foot, difficulty in holding it flat while walking, using crepe bandage. Further treatment advise?

i was affected with polio in 195 when i was 6 months old baby. During that period, I was totally in a crawling state. An operation was conducted in my right leg in 1963 and that had given me a facility to walk, but of course, with limping. The knee portion gets bent backwards while walking. They had even suggested calipers to be worn from hip to foot . I was using it until my 10 years of age. As it was made of aluminium, it used to regularly get broken and hence I had discontinued using calipers from 1966 onwards. All these years I have been walking with my limping posture only. Now I am 56 years old. Around 2 years back, my weak right foot suddenly started twisiting, i.e., I am not able to place my foot flatly on the floor while walking. This is continuing now also. With this twisted posture of the foot while walking, I am getting lot of pain and my mobility is further reduced. I had consulted a doctor and he had suggested to use calipers again to arrest further degeneration. I procured a calipers also and used it for 2 months continuously. These calipers are further hampering my mobility as I am not able to take up any chores freely. So I had discontined it again and the same is lying idle now. With all these problems only, I had opted for voluntary retirement from government service and I have not taken up any jobs after that. I am using a crepe bandage while walking which is slightly reducing the pain. Please advice me further on this.
Asked On : Sat, 15 Dec 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  30 Awaiting Answer