Platelet count less during blood test. It remained same of a month. Gave omnacortil. Cause for less platelet count?

Hi .. I am of age 61 years and recently went for blood test . Every thing was fine except platelet count. It was at 75 where it should be greater than 150. And this count is stable from last 1 month or so. Sorry, not sure about the units in which these tests are performed. The doctors sent me to oncology dept, and they gave me Omnacortil 20 for 15 days and had asked me to go for complete blood test. Are there any chance of cancer or what all can be the cause. Really worried.
Asked On : Thu, 24 May 2012