Platelet count abnormal. Had blood test. Taking B12 supplement. Express concern?

I had been taking B12 supplement for last 2 years, after my blood test I discover that my B12 is greater than 2000 pg per ml.
My Blood reports also says that- my platelet distribution width is 17.8% ( apart from this my all platelet report is within limit range)
Kindly pl. let me know is this report is a matter of concern for me. I am 61 year old women .

Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

A wide platelet distribution width suggests that there is variation in sizes of the platelets.
In health the platelet size lies between 1-3 microns.
In some conditions, there is marked variation in sizes of the platelets, ie some are smaller than 1 microns and some are above 3 microns.
This is commonly seen in conditions wherein there is rapid turn over of the platelets.
Since, all other platelet parameters are within normal limits, it is not of any serious consequence.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal