Planning to take Tegretol instead of Gabapentin for trigeminal neuralgia. Should Gabapentin dose be decreased slowly?

Hello, My neurologist is planning to take me off my Gabapentin and put me on Tegretol for my trigeminal neuralgia . I am wondering how this is going to be done ( In April) seeing I realize one should not come off Gabapentin abruptly. I have very slowly decreased my dose of G. from 2700mg per day to 1800 mg. without too much discomfort. Shall I continue to very slowly decrease G. I am in another country currently so cannot discuss this with the specialist. Thankyou for your help. Bev
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013