Planning to have sternal wires removed, chest discomfort, some are embedded in sternum. Chance of infection from corrosion ?

i am planning to have sternal wires rermoved because of much chest discomfort. The wires have been in for thirteen years. My concern that some of the wires are imbeded in the sternum. If these wires break and leave pieces in my sternum am i subject to infection from corrosion from these wires since the ends will be open and thier is no chromium oxcide coat on the ends which keeps the stainless steel wires from corroding.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013