Pins and needles pricking sensation all over body. What is it ?

My boyfriend is on a service mission in Russia. Over the past month he has been having very painful episodes he calls them where he feels like pins and needles are pricking him all over his body not numbing like painful painful jabs sometimes he can t even do anything at all. He went to the doctor and he had multiple problems but the doctor said something like he had subacute combined degeneration spinal cord . It was a Russian doctor I just am wondering if I could have some more explaining. I m so worried so so so worried
Asked On : Mon, 29 Oct 2012