Pin size holes behind front teeth, able to suck air. Suggestions?

My son has 2 pin size holes behind his front teeth . He is able to suck air through them at times and talks nasally at times. These holes seem to close up because he cannot suck air all the time. I am unable to see these holes since they are so small. He is 13. He currently has a palette expander. I noticed that he was able to suck air through these holes after I basketball practice and now that he is home for a few hours he cannot.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012