Pierced belly button. Black, greenish dot in the hole. Infection?

I pierced my own belly button. I took it out the same day I did it. Before I pierced it, I used hydrogen peroxide and cleaned the needle, the jewelry, and my hands. I took it out, but now there s a black dot where it first went through, and the second hole is like greenish. I don t want to die from infection, I ve been cleaning it with salt water. I am freaking out so bad, I don t want it to get infected! And I don t want to go to the doctor because then I d have to tell my parents that I did it, and they would kill me. Am I going to get staph or anything? Please help me, I m so scared and I m freaking out.
Asked On : Thu, 1 Nov 2012

Seems like you have developed infection in the pierced area.

Now firstly I would advise you to keep the area clean and dry as much as possible.
Do not apply any kind of moisturizing creams/lotions or oil over the affected area.
Wear cotton clothes so as to decrease the amount of sweating.
Clean the area with lukewarm water twice a day and apply an antibiotic cream like mupirocin gel over the area twice daily.

If inspite of the above measures, the lesion persists or continues to increase in size, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics along with pain killers.

In that case, I would advise you to visit a dermatologist for proper assessment and treatment.

Hope it helps
Best wishes for a speedy recovery
Dr Geetika Paul
MD (Dermatology)